Saturday, September 11, 2010

My First 5k!!!



Today I ran in my first ever race, the Run for the Roost 5k in Hagan, Ga. This was an amazing experience and I will never forget it. My husband, Jeremy, was there for moral support and I got to run it with my best friend, Heather. This was a moment for both of us because it was our first race. We helped each other. She struggled a good bit in the beginning and I stayed with her and walked when she needed to. I had a rough last mile and by that time she was warmed up and ready to go! But she walked with me when I couldn't catch my breath towards the end and helped me to pick it back up and finish strong. We don't know our exact time yet-race results haven't been posted-but it was around 40 minutes....which is an EXCELLENT time for me. I was hoping to finish in under 47 minutes! Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!

Speaking of things I'm happy about....my blogging friend Andrea nominated me for the Happy 101 Award!

Thank you, Andrea! Everyone needs to go to her blog and follow it right now. She's also training for her first half-marathon, and even if you tried, you wouldn't be able to find anyone with a sunnier disposition or more inspirational attitude. Her blog is awesome. Anyway, for this award you are supposed to list 10 things that you're happy about. Since my cup overfloweth today, I am listing 10 things I'm happy about regarding the race this morning:

1. My husband got the day off from work and was able to experience this with me. He has been my greatest source of support ever since I decided to become a runner. He is there for every long run, meeting me at every mile marker,cheering me on, handing me water and Gatorade, hosing me down, helping me walk when I'm too blistered...This man is my absolute life and I loved seeing how proud he was of me this morning.

2. Not only did I get to run my first race with Heather, we stayed with each other the whole time. I know it won't always be this way, and I'm okay with that. We each need to run our own race. But today, it felt really good to just be together and help each other along and just savor the experience. Heather is really more than a best friend to me, but they just haven't invented an appropriate term yet! Made me very happy to do this with her.

3. I didn't come in last! I didn't come in last! I didn't even come in second to last, or third to last. (Probably.)

4. I was able to achieve a much better time than I orginally thought myself capable of.

5. Packet pick-up was a cinch! Ok, I know that this one's weird, but I was really worried that they wouldn't have a packet for me...like maybe I accidentally signed up for the wrong race? Whatever. Anyway, all went smoothly.

6. I got to see this guy right here. He was the winner of the entire race, coming in at 19 minutes even. Whoever he is, he's my hero! And he had on really cool shorts and was wearing Newton's, which are barefoot running sneakers. (Ha!) If I ever run into him at another race, I am going to beg him to be my new running coach.

7. I slept very well last night, which was surprising. I really thought my nerves were going to get the better of me, but I got some awesome rest.

8. My nerves DIDN'T get the better of me! There were a few moments right before the race started where I figured I ought to just leave while I still could, but for the most part I was remarkably collected.

9. I got an awesome race T shirt! My first one in hopefully a big collection someday.

10. I already said this one, but it bears repeating: I didn't come in last!!

I am going to nominate Bethanny from Bethanny is Sick of Being Fat for this award. I have only recently stumbled onto her blog, but I've already read it all the way through and she is hilarious!! And brutally honest--I am totally loving following her.

Here are a couple of pics from the race. Thanks for reading this ridiculously long post, everyone!! Ya'll don't even KNOW what you're in for when I finish that half in October!! Ha!



Running towards the finish line



Being silly before the race


5 comments:

  1. Look at you!! Good job! SO healthy and a confidence builder. Healthy body and mind, one day at a time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and thank you for the award!! Oh and for the compliments!! Means so much that someone gets me :) We can do this together girly, now I must get offline. I am tempted to lick the screen, good God I love cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this post...just love it, love it, love it!! Congratulations Jen!! You did it and you killed it. Can't wait to see what your time was. I bet it rocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME!! Way to go on your 5k!!

    ReplyDelete